Here are a few easy steps to safely install the latest Android security updates on your Nexus device. As you may know, OTA updates only work on a completely stock system. Use this method if you are rooted or using a custom recovery or kernel such as ElementalX. This method shouldn’t take more than ten minutes and goes very quickly once you get used to it.
With this method, you keep all your data and apps. If you are unencrypted, you will stay unencrypted.
- Get the factory image for your device:
- Open the zip and extract boot.img and system.img. If there is a vendor.img, extract that too.
- Reboot to bootloader
- Go to the folder where you extracted the images and flash them with the fastboot command:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
And if your device has a vendor.img:
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
- Reboot to recovery (this is very important if your data partition is unencrypted on newer devices)
- Flash the latest SuperSU (found here)
- Flash ElementalX
- Reboot to your security-patched Android!